Sunday, March 25, 2012
Your weekly roundup of news and events.
Former School Business Manager Ruth Quinn Berdell said she would fight her dismissal in arbitration last week. Annual Town Meeting is tomorrow, in preparation, the town has published the warrant and Town Meeting Member results. There was a gas leak on Thursday, which blocked traffic for the afternoon. The search for a new superintendent yielded at least 25 applications by Friday’s deadline. Fire officials in Wellesley said they are not in favor of the legalization of fireworks.
Monday, April 19, 2010
Wellesley's firefighters will continue to receive the support they need from neighboring communities under its mutual aid agreement - for now
Amidst talk of growing concern of a troubled future for the long standing mutual aid coalition of fire departments in the Boston and MetroWest area, Wellesley Fire Department officials say they are thankful to still have the extra coverage it needs from its surrounding communities. "We haven't experienced any trouble at this junction giving or receiving aid through the mutual aid agreements," Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Peterson said. MetroFire, a mutual aid coalition of 34 cities in towns that agree to provide firefighters and equipment to one another in case of emergencies, was put on the chopping block in some communities this budget season as towns continue to cut expenses to make ends meet. "Mutual aid agreements have been around since …
Blaze wrecks Willow Street home, no injuries
Wellelsey's firefighters were in full force the morning of April 13, battling a blaze that destroyed a single-family house on Willow Street. The 2:30 a.m. call, made by a neighbor, reported flames spewing from the home next door at 26 Willow Street, where at the time no one was living. No parties were injured. Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Peterson said that while everyone is fortunate that no one was harmed in the fire, it is likely little will be salvaged from the home's charred remains. "Upon arrival we found the house totally involved," Peterson said. "In my opinion, the house is gone." At the time of the fire, the owners of the house – Mark Henry and his wife Jennifer Jordahl – had been living with their two daughters at a nearby hotel while…