Thursday, July 14, 2011
Action packed weekend coming up.
1. The annual July Jubilation festival is set for this Saturday on Central Street. Wellesley Patch has a full schedule of events up this morning. 2. The merchants downtown will be competing for attention Saturday when Linden Square hosts its weekly activities day for kids. 3. The Permanent Building Committee will meet tonight at 7:30 to go over a few contracts and other administrative points. 4. The Board of Selectmen will meet for the only time of the month next Monday night. 5. We got some rain yesterday, will it continue? Not likely, says the National Weather Service, which calls for a sunny day, but cooler than what we’ve had. The temperature will top out at 74 degrees, according to the service.
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
There are meetings on the calendar!
1. Yesterday was day No. 2 of auditions for producer J. Todd Harris’ lacrosse movie, “Crooked Arrows” at Sprague Field. Here is the video from day No. 1. 2. We are in the midst of a strong heat wave, which will continue today. The National Weather Service calls for a slight chance of rain but a day of 88 degrees temperatures and mostly sun. 3. Wellesley South takes on Wellesley North in tonight’s Parkway Little League semi-final. The game is in Watertown at 7:30. 4. There are three meetings on the municipal calendar tonight: The Design Review Board, the Facilities Maintenance Committee and the Community Preservation Committee will meet tonight. 5. If you’re having a yard sale, Wellesley Patch wants to know. E-mail the editor…
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
We're making the call: It's officially the Dog Days.
1. For those of you who stayed up late to watch Robinson Cano edge Adrian Gonzalez with a final round score of 12-11 last night, know that Wellesley Patch’s editor did too. That was an epic one. 2. Speaking of midsummer baseball, Wellesley Patch will have coverage of how the Wellesley North team fared last night in Parkway League baseball. 3. Film producer J. Todd Harris will be at Sprague Field today for the second day of auditions for his lacrosse-based movie, “Crooked Arrows.” For more on the auditions, check out Wellesley Patch this morning. 4. Yesterday was one of the hottest days of the year. Temperatures soared into the 90s. There will be a slightly higher chance of precipitation today, but overall it will be partly …
Friday, July 8, 2011
We were due for clouds.
1. If you’re bored this weekend, Linden Square has what you’re looking for. Tonight, head to the Linden Square courtyard for a showing of the movie “Mamma Mia.” 2. …And tomorrow, there will be a magic show featuring several animals at Linden Square. Consult our “Get Out” column for details. 3. Hopefully the weather holds up. The National Weather Service is calling for a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms today, and the high temperature will hold at 77 degrees. 4. Wellesley Patch wants bloggers. If you’re interested e-mail the editor today. 5. Wellesley Patch is also interested in some new “Questions of the Day.” If you have one, send and e-mail or leave the question in the comments.
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Around here, a heat wave is typically defined by three days of temperatures above 90 degrees. (But would you call that a winning streak?)
1. The School Committee will meet this morning at 8:30. Here's the agenda. 2. We are certainly in the thick of summer. The National Weather Service is calling a high of 90 degrees tomorrow and nothing but sunshine. 3. Just a little f.y.i. with your Wednesday morning coffee: The Cottage restaurant recently opened a sister location in Chestnut Hill. 4. Our Question of the Day yesterday dealt with the future of the Rockland Street Bridge and roads in Wellesley. Click the link and give your opinion. 5. Speaking of Questions of the Day, Wellesley Patch wants to know what’s on your mind. If you have one, e-mail the editor at Bret.Silverberg@Patch.com.
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
It's starting to feel a bit like summer.
1. After a sweltering July 4th weekend, which gave us temperatures near 90 degrees, it feels like summer has truly arrived. 2. Let’s hope it sticks around for a while. The National Weather Service says it will, at least for today. Temperatures will top out at 88 degrees. 3. The brand new Cedar Street Bridge is in place. Though construction in the area was expected to be complete by 10 p.m. yesterday, the bridge was in place and the detours were lifted by noon. 4. The Board of Selectmen will not meet tonight. The board will meet again July 18. 5. You’ve seen our Questions of the Day; Wellesley Patch would like you do more than just answer them. If you’ve been ruminating on any issue pertaining to Wellesley e-mail the editor …
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Early morning fog, all day sun.
1. The Board of Selectmen met last night to round up much business at the end of the fiscal year. (Stories to follow this week.) 2. They will not meet again until July 18, and likely again in August following that meeting. 3. Yesterday felt like the true first day of summer. Maybe it had to do with the fact that school is out, it’s only baseball the rest of the way, and the weather was picture perfect…. 4. Today, the National Weather Service calls for a partly sunny day with a high of 83 degrees. 5. Though the public meeting schedule is dwindling as summer sets in, the Historical Commission will meet tonight briefly beginning at 7 o’clock.
Friday, June 24, 2011
TGIF, despite the cloudy weather.
1. In case you were unaware: James “Whitey” Bulger was arrested Tuesday night in Santa Monica, Calif. Here’s what two people in Wellesley had to say about it. 2. It rained yesterday, but not all day like Wednesday. The National Weather Service predicts a cloudy day with high temperatures in the 60s. 3. The work of Nathan Schneider, a local photographer, is up at the library until the end of the month. Check it out while you can! 4. If you haven’t seen our Questions of the Day, check them out this afternoon when we post the Questions of the Week roundup. 5. We want bloggers. If you’re interested, e-mail the editor today!