St. John the Evangelist Parish
St. John the Evangelist Parish, or St. John's for short, was built in 1881, the year Wellesley became independent of Needham. The church, headed by the Rev. Thomas F. Powers, is the oldest religious building in Wellesley. The church's Parish Pastoral Council (PPC) is tasked with assisting the pastor in planning, organizing, initiating, promoting, coordinating and reviewing the evangelization, worship, religious education and service activities within the parish. The PPC is comprised of the pastor and pastoral associate, plus 12 or more elected and appointed lay members. The church also has a school (the St. John School) on Ledyard Street, which teaches students from pre-K to 6th grade, and sponsors Boy Scout Troop 185. Visit the Web site for more information about the church.
- Fax: 781-235-6990
- Hours: Weekday Worship: Mon - Fri, 7am. Saturday Worship: 7am; 5pm (Vigil). Sunday Worship: 7:30am, 8:45am, 11am; 5pm (except July - August)
- Handicap Accessible: The entrance is level with the street.
- Denomination: Catholic
- Services: Choir/music programs, Study groups, Youth programs
- Recreational facilities: Yes