Crisp air, cool nights, pumpkin-flavored everything and ripe red apples you can pick yourself. What's not to love?
There are several great apple orchards close to Wellesley at which to spend a lovely fall afternoon. Here are our top picks:
Belkin Family Lookout Farm - (89 Pleasant St. South Natick, MA)
- Hours: Monday - Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Price: Admisison is $8 weekdays, $14 weekends.
Winning for its close proximity to Wellesley, (under five miles) Lookout Farm offers not only "U-pick" apple picking where you can select the apples you want yourself, but also an array of family and children's activities like pony rides, and a farm animal zoo. Check out their apple guide to see which apples you'll find in season when you go.
Shelburne Farm - (106 West Acton Road, Stow, MA)
- Hours: Open daily, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Price: No admission fee. Half-bushel, approx. 20 lbs., $26, One peck, approx. 10 lbs., $18.
Twenty miles west of Wellesley sits Shelburne Farm has 50 acres of apples and pumpkins you can pick yourself. For kids, there's a moon bounce, hay maze, hay mountain, pedal tractors, and tractor play area, and a pony ride, which costs $5. See the farm's schedule for weekly events and more.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Closed Mondays and Oct. 9.
- Price: Cost is $20 for a 10 lb. bag of apples, $30 for 20 lbs.
To the west of Wellesley, Tougas Family Farm offers wagon rides to the orchards, and a long picking season. They also have pumpkins, cherries and a nifty website for day-of conditions.
Where is your go-to apple picking farm close to Wellesley? Tell us in the comments!