Wellesley’s Municipal Light Plant crews were in action since the first wind gusts of Hurricane Sandy blew until today. Almost no one was without power for very long, how about you?

Hurricane Sandy has come and gone, and it only took the electricity of a few Wellesley residents for a short amount of time.

Thanks to Wellesley Municipal Light Plant crews working round-the-clock, nearly everyone had their power back by yesterday at noon.

How about you? How long before your lights were back on? (Be sure to tell us which street you live on.)

Dan Kaplan October 31, 2012 at 02:19 PM
We called in a fallen branch on a power line on our street causing electrical flashes about 4 pm on Monday. A DPW truck came by a short while later to assess the situatiuon and a while later the fire dpeartment showed up during the fury of the storm and in darkness to stabalize the situation. Although we lost power in our neighborhood, it was restored by about 8-9 pm. The town really did a terrific job for us and our neighborhood, under very difficult circumstances. I'm sure glad we have a first rate operated. municipal electric service. Dan Kaplan 8 Dennis Rd.
nancy lindsey October 31, 2012 at 02:40 PM
They were amazing! A crew was on the scene immediately after a huge tree took down a pole and lines, blocking our dead end street off Washington Street. They worked for 7-8 hours in the driving winds and rain to get the tree out of the way so they could put up a new pole and restore power. There are only 7 houses on our street but they worked hard to get us back on line. The WMLP is to be commended for such hard working, dedicated employees.
Dan Grossman November 01, 2012 at 03:45 AM
A large limb took out a wire and a transformer on the corner of Overbrook and High Ledge at about 5:00. Within 20 minutes, a crew had come to assess the damage and secure the area, and a police officer was deployed to direct traffic. About an hour and a half after that, a crew came by to remove the limb. By 9:30, the downed wire was restored. The transformer had to wait until 3:00 on Tuesday afternoon. So we were without power for 22 hours. I understand that we were among the last to be restored. I had the opportunity to watch the transformer being replaced, and was struck by the skill and efficiency of the linemen. They had to work within inches of a 660 volt line, lowering a heavy piece of equipment and hoisting its replacement, in a delicate pas de deux of two bucket trucks. And they did this on little or no sleep, after having worked in driving rain and wind all night. I meant it when I told the supervisor that whatever we are paying them, it isn't enough. While all of us in Wellesley have had our power restored, many people in neighboring communites are still without. We are fortunate to have a well managed municipal utility that is accountable only to our community. Here is an example where government works.
James November 01, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Absolutely amazing. Thank you Wellesley Municipal Light Plant. We are so fortunate to have our very own light plant. We were without power from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Apparantly, we were the first to call on this outage and were greeted by a very pleasant gentleman who took down appropriate notes. Way to go.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something