Invite a friend
Municipal Light Board
More About Wellesley Municipal Light Plant
The Wellesley Municipal Light Plant (WMLP) was established in 1892. The facility provides electrical power for Wellesley residents and businesses, as well as some Needham residents. The plant has four substations, one of which is located on the Worcester Street grounds of the WMLP. This substation was built in 1968 and was recently renovated, with work ending during the summer of 2009; the Weston Road substation was built in 1959 and renovated in 2005; the substation on Cedar Street was built in 1967; and a fourth substation in Wellesley Hills was built in 1968. In March of 2010, WMLP was among 94 utilities that received the Reliable Public Power Provider (RP3) recognition from the American Public Power Association. The award is given for providing customers with the highest degree of reliable and safe electric service. The RP3 recognizes public power utilities that demonstrate proficiency in four key disciplines: reliability, safety, training and system improvement. The WMLP's director, Richard Joyce, has been doing his job for the last 15 years, and is looking forward to many more.