Wellesley Police Log: Calls from the Blizzard of 2013
The following blizzard reports were supplied by the Wellesley Police Department.
Between Feb. 8 and 9, police recieved 102 calls requesting service. Police received 10 medical and 20 fire calls, as well as seven alarm calls. Reports also show they helped drive several medical personnel to area hospitals and medical facilities.
Below is a selection from those calls:
Friday, Feb. 8
- 2:58 p.m.: vehicle ran into a light pole on Route 9 at Oakland Street. The Wellesley Municipal Light Plant was notified. The vehicle slid off the road on some snow, and swiped the utility pole. The car was still operable.
- 6:00 p.m.: Department of Public Works (DPW) reports cars parked in the Fiske School lot which were impeding snow removal. The cars belonged to residents on Hastings and Sheridan--owners were located and the cars were moved.
- 8:20 p.m.: A pickup truck with a plow went off the road and hit a guide wire, with high tension wires. The MLP was notified, and a tow service removed truck.
- 9:08 p.m.: Crash reported on Washington Street, at the Dover Road intersection. The vehicle was turning left onto Dover Road from Washington Street, then slid backwards in the snow and struck a light pole. The vehicle was knocked it from its base, and there was no damage to the car. The MLP notified of the damage to the light pole.
- 9:39 p.m.: Police received a complaint of a snow plow pushing snow onto the roadway, from a Washington Street business Police aim to file a criminal complaint.
- 9:49 p.m.: Police were informed of a vehicle pulling kids on a sled along Upson Road. Police spoke to the driver and issued a citation.
- 10:16 p.m.: A car was disabled on River Street. With the help of a DPW plow, that vehicle was freed and able to keep going.
- 10:49 p.m.: Patrol officers located a car stuck in a snow bank on River Street. Police were able to the vehicle from a snow bank, the driver then continued on their way.
- 10:59 p.m.: Police received a report of a snow blower on fire on Worchester Street. The machine checked out okay, and the fire department wrote an incident report.
- 11:18 p.m.: Vehicle crashed into a pole on Suffolk Road.
Saturday, Feb. 9
- 4:07 a.m.: A vehicle ran into snow bank on Linden Street at Pine Tree Road, and was disabled. Police towed the vehicle.
- 6:44 a.m.: Two-car crash reported on Weston Road at Central. A snow plow was removing snow at the intersection. While it was backing up, a driver saw it was moving, but thought he could safely pass behind the plow. The two vehicles collided.
- 10:53 a.m.: Officer received a complaint of a contractor pushing snow into River Street at Washington Street. Issue was resolved.
- 1:16 p.m.: A snow plow reportedly crashed into vehicle parked on an Oakridge Road driveway.
- 1:31 p.m.: Police officers spoke to kids who were sledding in the road on Overbrook.
- 2:50 p.m.: A car backing out of its driveway onto Route 9 at Overbrook was hit by a snowplow. The crash caused minor damage to the vehicle and plow blade.
- 6:56 p.m.: Hit-and-Run vehicle on Cedar Street, after one vehicle crossed over into the other vehicle's side of the roadway, and then left the scene.
- 7:42 p.m.: Report came in of a green flashing light coming from an electrical transformer on Inverness at Lincoln, followed by a power outage. MLP responded.
The above reports were provided by the Wellesley Police Department. Charges where mentioned do not indicate a conviction.