Reuben Sandwiches: A Post-St. Paddy's Day Treat
Have some leftover corned beef from your St. Patrick's Day dinner? Try using some of it in this delicious and easy to make Reuben sandwich.
Laughter is brightest where food is best. ~ Irish Proverb
Did you know that the traditional St. Patrick's Day dinner of corned beef and cabbage is not an Irish tradition but an American one? Though in Ireland they may eat it once in awhile, they pretty much serve it for the tourists who are visiting on March 17th. Go figure.
Boiled Dinner wasn't a once-a-year meal growing up in my house, since it was in the Sunday Dinner rotation. It was definitely not my favorite. Then later in life I ate a corned beef dinner at a friend's house and I loved it. I couldn't figure out what my mother had done wrong all of those years. Turns out she always made her boiled dinner with a smoked shoulder. Mystery solved. (I hate ham.)
Boiled dinner is great but my favorite thing to do with the leftover corned beef is to make a nice Reuben sandwich. It's not a sandwich I make often since I rarely have the ingredients on hand...but I make sure I have them for my post-St. Paddy's Day treat.
A friend of mine wished me a Happy St. Patrick's Day this year by exclaiming, "I'll never understand you people and your disgusting boiled meat. But... I hope you enjoy it!" So to all of you I say that I hope you, too, enjoyed your boiled meat dinners and if you have leftover corned beef please give this recipe a try.
Reuben Sandwich (makes 4 sandwiches)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices corned beef (sliced thin)
- 1 cup sauerkraut (drained)
- Preheat a grill pan (or skillet) on medium heat.
- Butter one side of bread slices.
- Spread Thousand Island dressing on non-buttered sides and layer 1 slice Swiss Cheese, 2 slices corned beef.
- Microwave sauerkraut for about 15-20 seconds in the microwave.
- Put 1/4 cup of warm sauerkraut on top of corned beef and add another slice of cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slices, buttered sides out.
- Grill until both sides are golden brown.